Monday, June 20, 2011

Estate Sale

So, a few weeks ago Kurt suggested we go to an estate sale after work. I can honestly say that I was not at all interested in going anywhere after work and realizing that it was something that he really wanted to do I reluctantly agreed.

The house we end up going to was one that I had walked by several times, always wondering what was inside. I was blown away at how unexpected this home was and how interesting the woman who owned the home was.



Lucile was the owner of the house and she was an icon of the Old Market. She was a pioneer of the neighborhood, seeing potential before anyone else did. Inside her building are displayed salvaged architectuRal remnants from many Midwestern historical sites Ceilings and walls covered in doors from the old Morris Hotel, City National Bank, the old Fontenelle Hotel. Stained glass windows from a club in Kansas. An antique fire place from the old Wilcox House in Council Bluffs. Leaded windows from the old Brandies Home and ornate crown moldings from the old Cornhusker hotel in Lincoln and so much more.  
Lucile started salvaging pieces from old buildings in the 60s, and she strived to make a showcase of these architectural elements.





Lucile also had a passion for collecting Christmas decorations and anything that was the color orange. At the estate sale there was an entire room filled with orange clothing and off the kitchen there were storage shelves 5 rows high filled with vintage Christmas decorations. Check out this article to learn more about her life.

There was a ton of really cool furniture for sale, but all was well over my budget. I did manage to get a few Christmas items from the 60's, a collectors album and some really cool crates.


I got a set of 7 crates for $25, they are a bit flimsy but I found some possibilities to transform these on pinterest.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment